Mar 23, 2009

New shoes = Renewed Enthusiasm


Aren’t new running shoes the best? You slide those bad boys on and you can immediately feel the improved cushioning over the ones you’ve been running in for nearly 400 miles. You can’t wait to get out there and put them “through their paces”. And if you’re lucky, which I was not this past Friday when I got my new kicks, you’ll get them on a day that: 1) isn’t an off day and 2) you still need to get out and get your run in. But once you get out and run in them, you either think, want, or both, that you need to run fast. Well, that’s where I was somewhat fortunate.

After getting my new Asics Kayano-15’s on Friday, I was supposed to run a 10K race on Saturday as part of my training for the Pig. Unfortunately, there wasn’t one nearby. So I met with my CCFA buddies for a Saturday morning run. They’re just starting their season, with a mostly new crew of folks (good luck everyone!), and so their run was scheduled for 3 miles. I decided to get out there early, run 3 miles semi-hard, meet them at 7:30am, and run the other 3 miles a little harder, never getting above a PEL of 8.0-8.5. And I thought what better shoes to do this in than my new 15’s? It was, in a word, awesome. I loved it. It felt great to get out there on a brisk 33-degree morning, before the sun has come up, and just run! Plus I was able to get some pretty good turrnover. I felt strong, and that's always encouraging. And I love the shoes. I plan to work about 40-50 miles on them prior to the Pig, and run in them on May 3rd. I just hope I can hold off that much, and save them.

So, after a “light” week, I’m back to the more grueling weeks. My final push of hard training before starting my taper. I’m ready to get after it. And the weather turning nicer is certainly a big boost. We might get some rain, but I can live with that so long as it’s 50+ degrees out there. I love winter running, but I’m ready for nice weather. It just adds such a nice spring in your step. And to have the sun shine warmly on your face, without the roasting feeling you get in summer, is the best.

Week 10 mileage: 33.92
Weeks 0-10 mileage: 405.31

Week 11 schedule:
M: WT, indoor soccer
T: 2GP/4x2T, 2:00 recovery jog in between/3GP, yoga
W: WT, 3 miles/ 6x100 S
Th: 90-min run, including 8:00-10:00 TUT, yoga
F: Rest
Sa: 18 miles (switching Sa/Su runs)
Su: American Heart Association Mini-Marathon, 5K (nice & easy)

No comments:

Post a Comment